Museum Educator, Part-Time (1-2 days per week, $15.00/hour)
Department: Civics Program
Location: Chicago, IL
About the McCormick Foundation
The McCormick Foundation is a nonprofit organization committed to strengthening our nation's civic health by creating educated, informed and engaged citizens. Through its philanthropic programs, Cantigny Park and Golf, and museums, the Foundation helps build citizen leaders and strengthens communities. The Foundation was established as a charitable trust in 1955, upon the death of Colonel Robert R. McCormick, the longtime editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. The McCormick Foundation is one of the nation's largest charities, with more than $1 billion in assets. For more information, please visit www.McCormickFoundation.org.
About the Civics Program
The Civics Program seeks to strengthen the civic education system and cultivate effective civic habits in the youth of Chicagoland by providing grants to civics-related organizations, delivering high-quality educational programs with supporting resources, and promoting the essential civic mission of schools. In May 2010, the Civics Program launched the Freedom Express traveling museum to visit middle and high schools in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties. The Freedom Express is a 45-foot vehicle with artifacts and interactive exhibits that demonstrate how the First Amendment enables a healthy democracy where we can freely exchange ideas, consider multiple perspectives, and act on issues that matter to us.
Facilitates school as well as public visits for the Freedom Express traveling museum.
- Serves as a facilitator for Freedom Express school visits by providing an orientation and engaging youth in dialogue about exhibit-related issues, how these issues relate to the lives of young people today, and how it is possible for youth to participate in democracy. Greets and orients visitors, manages museum traffic flow, and answers visitors’ questions at public visits.
- Promotes supporting resources provided by the Civics Program, Foundation grantees, and relevant external organizations to educators during school visits.
- Maintains records of all visits including attendance data and visit day experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, education, history, political science or related field required; equivalent experiences in these fields will also be considered.
- Position requires extensive travel throughout Chicagoland and applicant must provide own transportation; employee will be reimbursed for all business miles driven according to the standard IRS mileage reimbursement rate.
- This position requires work hours outside of normal business hours; must be able to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, public speaking and writing skills; experience in preparing and delivering presentations; strong ability to work collaboratively.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Preferred experience (1) working with youth in the middle and/or high school level in an informal learning environment such as a museum or (2) teaching in the classroom in the social studies or civics at these grade levels.
How to apply for this job:
Interested applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and references to: NJNoorani@McCormickFoundation.Org